Follow this procedure to create a rule for the devices assigned to the assets you created in Part V: Assign Devices.
Under normal conditions, you would create rules that meet utilization, workflow, or productivity goals. For our exercise, we’re simply creating an Area rule, in the Asset Tracking subscription, that would inform us when a laptop is removed from the zone group Meeting Rooms, which we created earlier in Part III: Set Up Your Floorplan.
You should have active and configured devices assigned to the assets or persons you intend to track.
- At the Asset Tracking subscription, select Rule Composer. Then choose Create New Rule from Additional Options (the kebab icon) drop-down.
- Complete the Create Rule panel as described below.
Field Description Create Rule Condition
Select Area from the drop-down.
Select Exit Area from the drop-down.
Enter a name and a description for the new rule. For our example, we’re using:
- Name: Laptop leaves Mtg. Rooms zone group
- Description: Laptop meant for Saturn and/or Jupiter has been removed from the Meeting Rooms zone group
Monitored Groups/Departments • Select Groups
• Select Departments
For Select Groups, choose both Saturn Laptops and Jupiter Laptops from the drop-down.
For Select Departments, choose Engineering.
Monitored Locations • Select an Option
• Zone Groups
For Select and Option, choose Zone Groups from the drop-down.
For Zone Groups, choose Meeting Rooms.
Actions Alert Select Enable Alert Action to cause the tag to beep when the asset to which it is affixed leaves the zone group.
- Click Enable Email Action and select the persons who should be alerted about the condition.
- Enter a subject for the email and its content.
- To indicate where the condition happened and which laptop was involved, select Zone Group and Name.
- Leave the rest of the fields as they are.
- At stage 5, click Submit.
The Rules screen now shows the rule you just created. For example: